Thursday, May 10, 2012

Rituals of relocation

I know more about moving than I want to, from round-the-corner house-swapping to interstate professional relocations. This upcoming move has its peculiar features. 

For example: distance--the furthest by far. Most of our moves have been within communities, plus one from Arizona to California. This one will be across the country--too far to schlep David's favorite chair and my cedar chest.

Which leads to the next peculiarity: not taking our things with us. At least, not the chair and the cedar chest. Household furniture and keepsakes will be left in with our five children, each in their own household in the San Francisco Bay Area. Such essentials as clothes, cookware, and (some) books will come with us to GMU. 

My days, then, are focused on preparing to move. Specifically, while David finishes his masters, the elements of the move that are personal to me: paring down the personal items that must be moved, or take up precious storage with the kids. A brutal standard, but bracing. I go to.

No comments:

Post a Comment